Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Yikes

So, one of the recommendations for Julia via the Physical Therapist that did her school evaluation, as well as her physical therapist from EI was that Julia would benefit greatly from arch and ankle supports to help stabilize her ankle and develop an arch. They recommended I visit Stride Rite and have her fitted for a high top style sneaker, with built in arch supports. The other option would be going through insurance and having specially made arch and ankle supports specifically for Julia. Both PT's thought that we should go the less expensive route first, because while insurance covers a portion of these types of things, in the long run, as she is still growing of course, I would end up spending more money.

So the other day, I was at the mall anyway and decided to take a stroll through Stride Rite and see what they had. I found a few pairs that looked liked they would work. I will probably bring Julia in next week to get fitted. The thing of it is? The sneakers were in the range of $40-50! You know whatever I need to do for her is of course what I am going to do but, $40-50 on a pair of sneakers that she will probably outgrow in a relatively short period of time? That hurts, people, that hurts. I don't even spend that much on my own sneakers (hello Walmart).

2 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

It will help. My own flat feet doomed me to a childhood full of orthotics and stride rite oxfords (they didn't make high tops then), but eventually I built up arches and now I can wear whatever shoes I want. $50 for sneakers is definitely better than $300 for orthotics PLUS $50 for sneakers (since they won't fit well in most shoes, trust me on that one!), and really, the stability will help Julia a lot.

I am so glad the evaluators had such a positive take on how to help her!

The Dew's said...

B/C my dad had bad feet from bad shoes as a kid, that was an expense we indulged in....>STRIDE RITE.. up until this past year they wore ONLY stride rite sneakers. And until they outgrew the sandals only them too.

Cal said it better than the orthotics which insurance will pay some for but none the less she will outgrow and in the long run to go the SR route. They are really good there and will fit her great.

If the man with the grey curlish hair is there see him he fit my Emily since her first pair at 9 months.