Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Katherine

In such a typical "middle child" thing to do (suffer quietly while the attention is bestowed upon older and younger siblings), Katherine informed me just last week that she has been missing recess consistently for months, due to unfinished class work. Needless to say this was all horrifying to me (missing recess to complete work, her keeping it to her self for so long, and the fact that the teacher had not been in contact with me to let me know what was going on).

Rather than share the whole letter I will quote a portion of it here, in which I directly address my distaste for missing recess to complete work.

"While I agree that the work needs to be completed, I would like to try, with your assistance and guidance, to find out why that is, and take steps to correct the problem, rather than just have her miss recess to get it done."

Of course, that was a lot tamer than what was going through my head. Something that the teacher brought up at Katherine's Parent-Teacher Conference back in November was that Katherine's social behaviors sometimes get in the way of her academics (read: talking too much). I wonder exactly how taking recess away will help in that regard? As it is, the kids only have that 15 minutes in a six and a half hour day of unstructured free play. Taking that time away for any reason (most especially not completing class work) is certainly not going to help her pay attention and talk less. I wonder why teachers, who seriously should know this stuff and should make the connection, don't?

I also wonder why the first step wouldn't be to figure out why she isn't finishing her work. Is she being allowed that recess time and still not paying attention/talking too much? Is it too much or too hard for her? Is there some other distraction?

I understand the idea behind taking recess away, besides the obvious part of the work needing to be done. I am guessing the hope is that the child will make the connection that if they don't finish their work they will miss recess. In some cases, maybe that is true, and maybe the problem would be solved. After months of though? I think it's time to explore other options.

No comments: