Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Does anyone know anything about...

...Hippotherapy (aka Therapeutic Horse Riding Therapy)? At Julia's IEP meeting the other day, her team recommended that she do "something" over the summer to keep up a consistent schedule (which was really my main concern for her over the summer and why I was hoping she might get in to the summer program). For some reason the idea of horseback riding popped in to my head today while I was pondering ideas. The basic idea I left with at the meeting was that she would benefit from keeping up with some sort of a once or twice a week activity that would keep her on a "getting out of the house and being social activity." One of the main concerns her team has was her lack of independence as compared to others her age, and her constant need for prompting. She is not the kind of kid to just "jump right in" but it goes beyond that with her. She needs much more direction socially and otherwise than the "average" almost 4 year old.

My understanding of Hippotherapy is that it is an individualized program that is tailored to the child's specific needs, using speech, physical, and occupational therapists, as well as the horse to address concerns. It seems like it could be a wonderful thing for Julia who has concerns in all three of these areas.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have you heard anything good, bad or otherwise about it?

1 comment:

MAMusings said...

Hi Sharon,

I want to contact you via email but I do not see any way to email you from your blog..............am I just not seeing it? Anyway, I am a PTA member and mom of a son who is just finishing up 2nd grade in the same town. I'd love to talk about Hippotherapy........don't know much about it, but I am hoping to enroll my son (ADHD) in a two week camp session at Handi-kids in Bridgewater. The particular session I'm interested in is for kids with ADD/ADHD. Just gotta scrounge up the money. I'm going to a recent PTA email to see if I can "lift" your email address. Do what you gotta do to talk to a mom in similar circumstances. I hope that is all right with you. Thanks, Maureen