Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Homework: Outlawed

You know, I find it contradicting that so much emphasis is put on spending quality family time together when most of that time is spent fighting (or getting aggravated with) your kid about how to do homework. Just how "quality" is that?

While I am on the subject, I was thinking the other day about how much homework Katherine has in 2nd grade. She usually has two papers, one math and one reading, spelling or English paper. On top of that, her teacher sends home a book bag with two to three books in it, which she is expected to read, record and re-read each night. Then, because she is receiving extra help with reading through Title I, she has a book that she brings home each night to read and record. I am a big advocate for literacy and am a big reader myself, but this seems just a little over the top. She gets home at 4, is in bed by 7-7:30 and has to squeeze in dinner and occasionally and extra curricular activity or two, on top of the homework load. Never mind if she wants a little free time to, you know, just be a kid. There have been a number of occasions in which I have gotten her up a little early in the morning to read one of the books, or finish her spelling or math. Thank God she is the "easy" kid when it comes to homework, and the above mentioned fighting really doesn't happen with her.

Anyway....homework...what are your feelings on the subject?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Kids now adays arent allowed to be kids,,,,,why.......MCAS. There is so much empahsis on this Fing test, kids cant enjoy their lives.

I think homework is a waste. By the time they come home, their brains are so taxed they cant think, thus i hav eto help them which ends up in fights, tantrums, and then they dont remember anyway.

BTW it's trace

Rebecca Rosenburg said...

I agree. When my daughter was still in public school, I finally put a stop to it. I told the teacher not to send homework with my child, that they had her for 7 hours and if they can't get enough education into her in that amount of time that is their failing, not hers and not mine. I did not make her do homework at all after that- and I let the teacher know it was not okay to keep my girl in recess or stop her from participating in any other activity to complete homework at school. Her grades? I didn't care. I knew she was learning, and that is what matters, kwim?
We homeschool now, and she excels!